Conumer Units / Fuse Boards
The consumer unit or fuse board is the heart of the electrical system in your property, it controls the supply of power and provides protection, to both life and to the building’s electrical system itself.
Many modern consumer units incorporate technically advanced protective devices such as:
- RCD’s – for protection against electric shock
- Circuit breakers (CB’s) – for the protection of the cables and electrical devices
Circuit breakers are rated in amperes (A) and protect the conductors or wires in your property from being exposed to excessive amounts of electric current, overloading cables can cause them to overheat and in extreme cases lead to the risk of a fire occurring.
Consumer Units / Fuse Boards
Quality Electrical Services
So what’s the difference between a consumer unit and a fuse board?
- The fuse board is the name given for the device that protects the electrical installation in some older properties, so called a fuse board because they rely on fuse wire installed in a fuse carrier which melts when exposed to excessive amounts of current in amperes. Fuse-boards were a way of protecting electrical installations, but are no longer believed to be as effective as modern consumer units
- The consumer unit is the modern development of the humble fuse board. They are fitted with MCB’s, a type of switch that trips (switches off), when excessive current flows through the device. They can also be fitted with RCD’s and RCBO’s, devices that can trip if someone is receiving an electric shock.
Single phase or three phase that is the question?
- Single phase installations such as most domestic or smaller commercial properties require only a small number of low powered circuit and so are fitted with a smaller single phase consumer unit
- Three phase installations, those that require more power or require three phase power for specialist equipment and machinery, these consumer units are larger and demand a three phase power supply to be installed by the company responsible for the electrical network infrastructure.
R C Marshall & Son Ltd has extensive experience in maintaining and renewing all types of consumer units and fuse boards including single and three phase.
We install and maintain both single phase and three phase consumer units for many domestic and industrial properties.
Contact us to get a full assessment of the condition of your consumer unit, and whether renewing your fuse board is the ideal solution to resolving your safety issues.
We could replace your old fuse board with a modern consumer unit with minimal disruption to you and your home or property.
Providing Electrical Services Since 2001
We are Part P Registered and take pride in being prompt, producing tidy work and communicating well with clients.
Whether you need installations, upgrades, replacements or repairs, we can deliver safe and efficient projects however large or small your requirements are. We assess precisely what you need and provide honest pricing and time-frames so that you know what to expect throughout.
At all times they were very professional in their approach to any jobs they were asked to do, There is no job to big or small for the company to undertake, All jobs are to an exceptionally high standard.
They do excellent quality work. They are competent and pleasant to deal with. I like that they know what they are doing and do it correctly the first time. I would highly recommend using R.C Marshall & Son LTD.
R C Marshall & Son Ltd
The Old Smithy, Ballabeg, Isle of Man, IM9 4HA